Saturday, September 25, 2010

Chicken risotto

I think I got this from the SunRice website years ago, but it's evolved over the years as I've had to cut corners because of time limitations with the kids. Here's the original recipe:

4 finely diced chicken thigh fillets
1/4 cup dry white wine
420g can Heinz Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
1 tbsp oil
1 peeled and diced onion
1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
2 cups arborio rice
3 cups chicken stock or water
2 cups well packed, tender spinach leaves

1. Heat the oil in a large lidded saucepan, add the onion and chicken and cook over a moderately high heat for 3-5 minutes until the chicken is browned and the onion softened.

2. Add the arborio rice and toss to coat in the onions.

3. Add the Condensed Creamy Chicken Soup, wine and chicken stock or water and stir to mix well. Cover and simmer very gently for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally until the rice is tender and all the liquid has been absorbed.

4. Stir in the spinach and parmesan cheese and stand for 2 minutes to allow the spinach to wilt and the parmesan to melt.


I use chicken tenderloins instead of the thigh fillets, only because they're easier to cut. I use Campbells Cream of Chicken and Corn soup, but any of that variety work OK. I don't use stock, only water, because the girls don't like it salty.

I'm not very good at planning ahead with meals yet, so I usually use frozen cubes of spinach (from the frozen vege section of the supermarket) as well as frozen peas, corn, sometimes capsicum and onion.

I put it into tupperware containers and put it in the freezer for quick meals. I know freezing rice is not ideal, but I don't cook it all the way the first time, so when I reheat it, I sprinkle some water on the top and it takes it to risotto perfection, rather than overly gluggy.

OK, so it's not fancy, but it's nutritious and it's one of the few things I cook that the girls never refuse, so it's staying on the menu rotation for now....

No comments:

Post a Comment