Saturday, May 15, 2010

Polka Dot Cookies

This is taken from the book "Ready, Steady, Bake" by Lucy Broadhurst. I've only made them once but they were a big hit. I didn't have a biscuit cutter the right size so I just used a glass.


Makes about 50

125g unsalted butter, cubed
125g caster sugar
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
125g plain flour
125g self-raising flour
1 cup smarties

1. Preheat the oven to 160˚C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.

2. Beat the butter and caster sugar using electric beaters until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat well.

3. Sift the flours and fold in to form a soft dough.

4. Turn out onto a sheet of baking paper, cover with another sheet and roll out to 5mm thick.

5. Using biscuit cutters, cut out circles and place on the tray. Press the smarties into the biscuits.

6. Back in batches for 10-15 minutes, or until golden. Cool on a wire rack.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the name too! Just wondering how you kept them so round and well formed. Is that just the recipe that does that? When I make cookies they normally spread at the edges!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it must be the recipe that just doesn't spread much. You roll them out pretty thin and flat and the glass makes them round, I don't think they really expanded that much when cooking. I've only made them that one time, but now that the recipe is here I'll be able to find it easier... Actually, the real reason I haven't made them again is that the girls just picked the smarties off and made a mess of the biscuit, so I think in this house they'll only be for special occasions (and for impressing my friends LOL)

    ReplyDelete