Monday, July 5, 2010

Aunty Kath's Tuna Casserole

I'm trying this one for the first time today. I put it all in a casserole dish and will reheat it at dinner time. It couldn't be easier though, and I'm a big fan of ingredients from the pantry and freezer. No rush to "use up" fresh veges, and it's ready to go whenever I am...

Thanks to my friend Kate for sharing the recipe!



4 tbsp butter/margarine/dairy-free margarine
8 tbsp plain flour
1 litre cow's/soy/rice milk (I find it works best with skim cow's/soy milk or rice milk as 'fatter' milk makes the sauce too thick)
1 large tin tuna in brine
1 small tin pineapple pieces, drained
500g frozen peas/corn/carrot mix or equivalent cooked, fresh vegetables cut into pea-sized pieces
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard (more or less to taste)

Melt butter in large pan. Remove from heat, add flour and stir until smooth. Return to gentle heat and cook for 1 minute, stirring well. Add milk and stir until smooth. Return to heat and stir until boiling. Boil 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
Stir in tuna, pineapple, vegetables (no need to thaw frozen veg) and mustard.
Reheat before serving.
Individual portions can be frozen. I like to put a few child-sized serves in the freezer for quick and easy dinners.


The verdict: I liked it, the girls knocked it back, though they weren't interested in frozen yoghurt or custard either, so maybe they were just too tired for dinner. I put the leftovers in the freezer so they can learn to like it another day. It is very easy to make, and would be also nice with cheese (especially parmesan!) in the sauce, though there's plenty of dairy in it anyway... I think this has already found a place in our regular menu rotation!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you liked it and I really hope the girls learn to appreciate it too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this again today. The girls didn't really eat it last time I made it, so this time I skipped the mustard, and put in some cheese and an extra cup of milk to make the sauce more runny. It is a little bland, but the goal is to get the girls to get the girls eating it, and then I can fiddle with the flavours...

    I'm going to try to serve it over pasta since the girls never refuse pasta, and hopefully some of the tuna and vegies will stick to the pasta so the girls eat it even if they don't really want it!

    ReplyDelete